Students will be given a yellow receipt that is a valid Instruction Permit until their hard-card photo permit comes in the mail. The yellow receipt is valid for 60 days. If the hard-card photo permit is not received within 60 days, it is your responsibility to call the Minnesota Department of Public Safety at the phone number shown on the yellow receipt.
The Instruction Permit allows the student to practice driving with a licensed driver who is age 21 or older. The student must have the Instruction Permit with them at all times while driving. The student is required to hold the Instruction Permit for a minimum of six months before attempting their Road Test. The Instruction Permit is valid for two years and is renewable.
To be eligible to take the Knowledge Test and apply for an Instruction Permit, students must:
- Be at least 15 years old
- Have complete 30 hours of classroom instruction and received their Blue Card from Safeway
- Bring a primary and secondary form of identification
Primary Forms: certified birth certificate or valid passport
Secondary Forms: school issued ID card or original Social Security card
- Present their Blue Card from Safeway
- Present their Minnesota ID card (if they have one)
- Know their Social Security number (must be provided on application)
- Pass a Vision Test
- Have their photo taken
- Pay the fee of $15.50 (credit cards not accepted)
- Have a parent or guardian available to sign the application