Road Test Information
Header: Road Test Information
Road Test Information
The Road Test is given at designated Minnesota Exam Centers, either on regular city streets or on a testing course.
To be eligible to take the Road Test, students must:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have held an Instruction Permit for six months with no convictions for moving violations or convictions for alcohol/controlled substance violations.
- Have completed 6 hours of behind-the-wheel lessons and received their White Card from Safeway
- Present their Instruction Permit
- Present their White Card from Safeway
- Pay the fee of $17.25 (credit cards not accepted)
- Have a parent or guardian available to sign the application.
- Have completed at least 50 hours of supervised practice driving (including at least 15 hours at night), as documented on a written driving log signed by the parent or guardian. The required supervised practice driving hours are reduced to 40 hours (15 at night) if the parent or guardian attends a Parent Class and receives a Parent Class Certificate of Completion. Keep a copy of the driving log. If the student fails the Road Test, it will have to be presented at the second attempt. Click here for the State-approved Supervised Driving Log.
Safeway has developed a driving log app for mobile devices. It will record driving times, including day and night hours, road type, road conditions and skills practiced. At any time, you can email to yourself a pdf of the driving log in the State-approved format that can be printed, signed and submitted when you apply for a Provisional License. The app can be downloaded from our home page.
Metro-area testing centers are regularly booked out at least 60 days. We recommend that you schedule an appointment. You will need the student’s permit number to make an appointment. There are two ways to schedule appointments:
1. Online: www.mndriveinfo.org
Road Tests can be scheduled up to 60 days in advance, though frequently there are no Metro-area appointment openings within 60 days. By calling you can schedule up to six months out.
2. Phone: 651-284-1234
This telephone number is for all the State’s exam centers. When you call, there are two options: automated or live. The automated phone option can only schedule appointments 60 days in advance. The live scheduler will be able to schedule up to six months in advance. The live scheduler is available Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
Please note: If you want to schedule an exam at the Stillwater Exam Center, you will likely need to call and speak with a live scheduler.
We suggest you review the Minnesota Driver’s Manual, pages 6-8, for vehicle qualifications and an equipment checklist. Also, be prepared to present a current insurance card for the vehicle you are testing in. If you do not have a vehicle that you want to use for the Road Test, Safeway offers a training car and instructor for $95.00. Please call our office for more details.